Monday, December 19, 2011

Kitchen Command Center

I've been looking at Kitchen Command Centers on Pinterest and they are SLAYING me!  Way too cute!  I'm terrible with paper, and I know it's not something I'll update often.  BUT... saying that, it's nice to have something pretty to hang my weekly menu from, and to leave notes for the occasional babysitter or dogsitter. 



The fabric I used is leftover from no-sew valances that I made using just iron-on hemming tape!



Materials Needed:

- Artists Canvas (I got this as a 2-pack from Hobby Lobby for only $7.99 not on sale).  I believe it's 18x20.  I used the other one for my crayon canvas.
- Fabric large enough to cover canvas
- Ribbon or twine to hang
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors
- Optional: Jute webbing to make a pen pocket (I got this at Wal-Mart fabric section near the ribbon.  It's dirt cheap and so charming!)

I laid down my fabric with the canvas on top and cut roughly around it with pinking shears.  Allow about 2" overlap.  I then ironed my fabric and laid it back down (wrong side up) and laid my canvas face down.  I hot glued in small sections, pulling tightly as I went.  Once the fabric is glued down, I glued a ribbon on to the back. 

To make the jute pocket just cut a piece to size and hot glue it down on 3 sides.  Pretty simple.  Just hang on the wall and admire your work!

Next steps:

I got ahead of myself and I realize that I will need to stuff the back of it with some cardboard so that I'll be able to actually use push pins on the board.  As is, the board will probably not support any push pins.  I'll finish it later and hopefully post a picture of how I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment